Posted in the VIP room:
OK. Have to say this since I've been spending way too much time supporting it.
I tested 50-75 VPS providers. Yes. Honestly. All but one were screwed up.
* Some oversell their resources. They say 4 GB of memory but you can't use all of it because they promised too many other people 4 GB when they only had 16 GB total.
* Some provision their VPS to be used as a web host which has VERY different allocation design decisions despite the hardware specs provided, a webhost is different from a VPS capable of botting.
* Some do funky stuff with directory permissions in the interest of protecting their customers from themselves.
* Some auto-apply security patches and reboot you too frequently.
I DO NOT SUPPORT THEM because they do not work. I have to end the conversation when I find out it's related to a VPS problem especially since I have dozens of PM convos all alike.
I do not use those other VPS providers because they're screwed up. I know others have found a VPS provider they like and use successfully. I know some have gotten over or around the problems above. If I find another VPS provider that works "out of the box", I'll do some testing and add it to the list that I'm willing to help with. I am not willing to help with VPS providers that I have already found DO NOT WORK.
I spend too much time helping others learn what I already learned. I put my finger into the light socket. It hurt. I don't need to spend time helping you learn that putting your finger in the light socket hurts.
If you ask me "what about provider XYZ", the answer is:
So far, I have ONE provider on my list that works. If your provider is not on my list of working VPS providers, it means either:
- I tested it and it does not work so I don't support it.
- I did not test it so I don't support it.
Some of the problems I experience that tell me your VPS provider is crappy:
- Director does not save profiles due to file permissions or directory permissions
- NEATO does not work or gives strange errors
- Bot crashes due to resource starvation
- Bot stops responding due to resource starvation
- Director launches multiple copies of the same bot due to resource starvation
- Director crashes due to resource starvation
There are tons of problems that happen. I will paste this URL to you if we determine a dumb VPS is the cause.
If the VPS is not the cause of the problem I will help you even if you use a VPS I don't support. I'll help you out regardless of the VPS you choose as long as you don't have a problem that is caused by your VPS.